Pages

3/21/07

Maybelline- A Work in Progress



Several people have asked about my cat paintings so I decided to post one as a WIP. I try to finish these small daily paintings in a few hours, but I can already tell this one is gonna be spread out over about 3 evenings.

It is painted on Yupo paper using transparent watercolor, the size is about 5.5 x 7 inches or so.

The bottom photo is a pic of one of my hospital cats Maybelline. Maybelline, and Leon, both like for you to move this little kid's play couch in the hall way when the sun comes through the door around lunchtime. The photo is very dark, which is some concern. It is SO difficult to get good reference pics of dark cats. Black cats are the worst. They turn out looking like black holes with beady eyes, but I digress. . . .

I worked on this for a few hours last evening, starting with the basic shapes and building up the colors and values. The values have to be quite dark for the light parts to read as "sunlight".

Watercolor on Yupo paper moves. That is both good and bad. You do get great textural effects that are difficult to control and predict. Check back in a day or so to see the finished image.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails